Friday, August 20, 2010

Last Day In Stratford

I really should have written this post in iambic pentameter, since all my thoughts are in "Shakespeare" and not regular English.  My internal thoughts are literally in Elizabethan English with occasional occurrences of rhyme.

I'm well caught up in my homework, so I have some time to update this.

Tonight is our last night in Stratford-Upon-Avon.  We're leaving tomorrow morning for Edinburgh and going to be spending the next week gallavanting about at the Edinburgh Festival, the worlds largest cultural event and arts festival.  Insane.

I've started classes this week, and they all seem like they're going to be great experiences.  The homework load has been wonderful so far, but the internet is "dodgy" (yep, I'm converting to dodgy rather than sketchy), so that slows down the homework pace.

On Tuesday, a few of us visited Shakespeare's burial site.  It's located in a Cathedral down the road from our bed and breakfast (my room has a view of its steeple).  I was happy that it hadn't turned into much of a tourist sight like the rest of the Shakespeare-related places in Stratford.  The cathedral was gorgeous, but the grave plaque was not that exciting, really.  It's strange to make such a big deal out of a piece of ground where someone is buried.

Our group took a day trip to London on Thursday to see two plays at the Old Vic.  London looks incredible and I can't wait to spend more time there in the next few months.  But here's my story of the day:
My friend Kirsten and I met Jeff Goldblum!
We were downstairs outside the restrooms by the bar of the Old Vic.  I noticed him at the bar with his mega-trendy art friends, and immediately told Kirsten.  We spent the next few minutes trying to figure out if it was really him and whether we should get a picture.  We did the very sneaky "lets turn around and pretend you're talking to me so you can look at him without turning around" trick.  Eventually he noticed us spying on him and walked over to meet us!  We all talked for about 10 minutes about our trip, his new play in town (which he invited us to - and told us to come hang out backstage) and the show we were all watching that day.  He was so nice!  He introduced himself as Jeff, and when we decided at the last minute as we were all walking away to get a picture, I yelled out "Jeff!"...since we're clearly on a first name basis.

Also in London, I ate Indian food, and tried Turkish food for the first time.  The Indian food was good, especially since I love naan, but the Turkish food was just alright.  But I'm trying new things and it's exciting.

Tonight is the last play we're seeing in Stratford.  Eight plays in eight days.  I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment